Thursday, 23 May 2013

Catching up with "Drawing Lab": Lab 2

Hi guys, how have you been doing?

I had several days off work last week and went on a short trip to the beautiful town of Innsbruck (Western Austria) with my family. We had a really good time! :)

But both my trip and work left me little time for elaborate drawing lately. At least I finally managed to do the second Lab from Carla Sonheim's Drawing Lab. I'm doing this together with other people in a group and actually, we should all be working on Lab number four already.^^' But from what I saw I'm not the only one who's a little behind. I'll just try to catch up these days! Lab four and five are about drawing animals at the zoo - something I've already done several times anway. Maybe I'll have time to go again at the weekend. :)

Anyhow, here are my scans from Lab 2 - "Blind Contour Giraffes". I love blind contour drawings, they are just sooo funny! I know you're supposed to do them slowly and focused (and then they aren't even looking bad), but sometimes it's just so much fun to do them quickly and then burst out in a fit of laughter when looking at your results. xD Can you guess which were the quick ones? Haha...








After a while I had enough of giraffes and tried some bears, too. I like the one on the lower right. :D


Well, on to the next labs! I have to admit that this book really challenges me. :D I can be really stubborn, impatient and inhibited when drawing and all these tasks hit my weak spots and makes me try a lot of new things. 

But I guess I'll be a lot better afterwards. :)







10 comments:

  1. Oh wow! These are fabulous Katrin! Your giraffes are really good, especially the tall ones where you captured the whole silhouette.

    The 5th giraffe is my favorite one. Looks like some sort of dragon to me, or maybe extraterrestrial :D Definitely cool.

    And I like that bear too. He'd look awsome on a tee shirt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nini! :) Now that you mention it, that one giraffe does look like a dragon, haha! That reminds me of how much I loved to draw dragons when I was younger. I should try that again! :) I hope I'll get to do the next labs soon!

      Delete
  2. Ich habe dich für einen Blog-Award nominiert. Du findest ihn hier: http://sewingfairytales.blogspot.de/2013/05/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Salvia! Danke, das ist echt lieb von dir! Ich hab allerdings erst vor kurzem einen ähnlichen Award bekommen und dazu so einen Fragebogen ausgefüllt, daher werde ich mich diesmal einfach im Stillen freuen! :D Danke!

      Delete
  3. I like the bears! They'd look great in colour too, or on a postcard or something :D There's something really interesting about that style of drawing, though I know it's only a practice exercise ^^;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe I should pursue these bear sketches then. :) Yeah, isn't it? I loved browsing through the other submissions in our group! They're so interesting to look at.

      Delete
  4. hahaha the last drawing of the giraffe makes me laugh!! I'm sure that's the quick one! the rest of the giraffe and bears are really good, I don't know what will I draw if I do the blind contour drawings, maybe it'll end up as a monster....you're great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes that was a quick one! :D You should try it, too! It's so much fun!

      Delete